One of the most important factors in driving more traffic on a website is search engine optimization, or SEO for short. It is defined as a marketing discipline which focuses on growing the non-paid search engine results. It is of utmost importance that a website is created in a way that a search engine can understand it and that it contains SEO friendly content.
Even though in recent times social networks like Facebook and Twitter are used to generate visits to a website, major search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo are still the “places” where most of the web traffic is made. SEO comes in to play in order to make a website “visible”.
Let’s take Google for instance. Google generates high quality leads since it holds 90.46% of the search engine market share worldwide. Namely, search traffic converts 10 times higher than social media on desktops. The fact that organic returns are more trusted is why websites focus mostly on them, as 70 to 80% of users ignore the paid ads and look for the results found by organic search.
The following list contains several of the many factors for ranking a website in the most famous search engine Google.
- Average page speed of a top ranking site is around 1,900 ms, which is 17% faster than a site that ranks at the 10th place.
- Longer and more informative content tends to rank higher in Google’s search results. Average Google first page results contain 1,890 words.
- Rank 1 website has nearly 6 times more links than a site at rank 10.
- Bounce rate of a rank 1 website is nearly 8.7% lower than bounce rate of position 19.
- 27% of the top 10 search results use HTTPS.
- Number of industry experts confirmed higher CTR leads to higher rankings.
- 97% of page 1 results have at least 1 image on their page.
- More time spent on a website is seen to have a positive impact on the site’s ranking.
These are just some of the interesting facts which are included in the following infographic. Take a look at it to learn more about SEO.